As a Formula 1 fan and a Porsche enthusiast we are pleased to share this project.  

The first Formula 1 Safety Car was a  Porsche 914   On September  23, 1973, Canadian Grand Prix saw the use of safety car in Formula 1 for  the first time.

Eppie Wietzes in a Porsche 914 along with his co passenger and FOCA representative Peter Macintosh.  

The race ended up as the most controversial race in the history of Formula 1.

The introduction of the safety car also referred to as the  “Official Race Neutralizing Car” was enforced by the number of crashes  in the beginning of the 1973 season. In multiple incidents, the rescue  measures were hampered by the speeding cars on the track. So, something  was needed to slow down the cars. It was a rainy Sunday at Mosport Park  in Canada when twenty five cars lined up behind the pole position man,  Ronnie Peterson, for the second to last race of the 1973 Formula 1  season. With Jackie Stewart having won the Drivers' World Championship  in Italy two weeks earlier, all eyes were on Tyrrell and Lotus who were  fighting for the Constructors' title. By lap 24, the track started to  dry resulting into heavy traffic in pit lane for tire changes. Things  became more complicated when Jody Scheckter collided with Francoise  Cevert on lap 33. This accident led to the first ever Safety Car in  Formula 1 out on track. Safety car driver Eppie Wietzes was looking for  the leader Jackie Stewart who dived into the pits as the safety car  started its lap. As Tyrrell’s mechanics struggled to release Stewart  after messing up the stop, the confusion prevailed over the race leader.  It was Howden Ganley's Iso-Marlboro which came out of the pits just  ahead of Jackie Stewart. It was a surprise for Ganley himself, (he was a  lap down going into the pits.) Those were the days when the lap charts  were done by hand and it was a nightmare situation. Wietzes’s drive as  the first ever safety car driver ended after five laps, leaving the race  charts in chaos. Finally the race ended but the confusion did not. Late  in the evening that day, the results were confirmed. Peter Revson, who  was believed to be a lap down, was declared the winner. Fittipaldi who  lost a lap in the chaos officially finished second. Fittipaldi believed  that he was the actual winner of the race as no car overtook him on the  track. Many believed it was Jackie Oliver who had actually won the race  and should have been declared the winner. Eppie Wietzes was told what to  do by the two way radio from the control tower “stay ahead of no. 25”  (Howden Ganley’s Iso-Marlboro)’. Nowadays race charts, timing and  scoring are all electronic. Pace cars were not used again that season  and not reintroduced again for 20 years in 1993